Sheriff arrest barricaded subject in Franklin Furnace

July 16 – FRANKLIN FURNACE – Scioto County Sheriff David Thoroughman said his 9-1-1 communications center received a call from a resident at around 10:24 pm on July 14, 2021, reporting that “Michael Brown” gun waved around outside and was drunk and on drugs.

Another call came in from another source to the 9-1-1 communications center stating that the suspect allegedly uses meth, alcohol, and marijuana and is upset about a domestic problem.

MPs replied at 210 Hyland Ave., Franklin Furnace, Ohio. When they arrived, Brown had locked himself (alone) in a back bedroom. Deputies ensured the security of the immediate area and ensured the safety of the residents in the area. Thoroughman requested assistance from the Portsmouth Police Department’s SWAT team to be on site to deploy if necessary.

Local residents said the suspect has three firearms: a .22 caliber pistol, a .22 caliber rifle, and an AR pistol of unknown caliber. Shortly after the officers were on site, the suspect shot out of the house with a gun. It is currently unknown whether any shots were fired before MPs arrived.

Thoroughman would like to thank Chief Brewer for providing assistance to the Portsmouth Police Department’s SWAT team, and in particular to thank hostage negotiator Sergeant Andy Dawes for getting the suspect safely out of his home.

Thoroughman would also like to thank Green Squad 8 for responding and serving in the area to ensure an immediate response if needed. The suspect was barricaded for about six hours and 40 minutes.

Brown was transported to Southern Ohio Medical Center for examination. The sheriff’s office found an AR .22 pistol, a Rossi .22 LR rifle, and a Ruger .22 LR handgun. The sheriff’s office found evidence that shots were fired from inside the residence and shot outside through a closed window.

The case is being referred to the Scioto County Attorney General to be presented to a Scioto County grand jury for investigation of the criminal charge.

Comments are closed.