Keep cool, use these energy-saving tips during first heat wave of 2021 | State
ALLENTOWN, Pa., May 19, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Temperatures are rising in the east Pennsylvania.
While we all salute fun in the sun, sometimes all you need to do is get on the air conditioner and relax. According to the US Energy Information Administration, air conditioning costs 12% of total household energy costs, so a few simple steps towards energy efficiency can really pay off.
To be comfortable and save for a rainy day, follow these energy efficiency tips:
- Make sure your curtains and sunglasses are pulled down during the day to keep out the hot sun.
- Minimize the use of heat generating equipment such as dishwashers, ovens, washers and dryers during the hottest hours of the day.
- Ceiling fans are economical and cost far less than air conditioners. Pro tip: Only use ceiling fans in occupied rooms, as these use the wind-chill effect to cool people. You can also increase the temperature setting on your thermostat by one to three degrees with a ceiling fan.
- Speaking of thermostats, a Wi-Fi enabled smart thermostat will automatically adjust the temperature settings in your home to save money. According to the US Department of Energy, you can save up to 10% per year on cooling by turning your thermostat seven to 10 degrees eight hours a day.
- Insulating your attic keeps the heat out. The US Environmental Protection Agency estimates that homeowners can save an average of 15% on heating and cooling costs by hermetically sealing their homes and insulating attics and floors over crawl spaces and basements.
- Sealing the gaps around your windows and doors prevents cool air from escaping and makes you feel comfortable in the summer. Use caulking or weather strips that can be found at hardware stores and you could potentially lower your energy consumption.
For more information on all PPL measures that can save you energy and money, including information about our customer support programs, please visit pplelectric.com.
PPL Electric Utilities provides power delivery service to more than 1.4 million homes and businesses in Pennsylvania and is one of the best utility companies in the country for customer service and reliability. PPL Electric Utilities is a major employer in the communities in which it operates. It is a subsidiary of PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL). Visit www.pplelectric.com for more information.
Note to Editors: Visit our media website at www.pplnewsroom.com for more news and background information on PPL Corporation.
Contact: For news media: Patrick Lester, 610-774-5997, [email protected], PPL Electric Utilities
View original content: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/keep-cool-use-these-energy-saving-tips-during-first-heat-wave-of-2021-301295054.html
SOURCE PPL Electricity Supplier